I sincerely hope that everyone gets the irony in this blog title. No, I don’t take myself really seriously and yes, I am making fun of myself. I am, by no means, a professional at makeup application- I simply share what I learn. On that note, this blog is a two-parter (Yay for creating new words). First off I hope you enjoy my video review of my May Birchbox (Gossip Girl themed) and my May MyGlam Bag. The two subscription services sent me two very different packages this month. Watch below to find out which was better and leave me a comment below letting me know whether you would have liked Birchbox or MyGlam Bag better this month.
Below my video is day three of my 30 day makeup challenge. Find out what I have learned that has changed the way I do makeup.
Day 3: Your weird makeup tips and secrets
1. Slow and steady wins the race. When applying eyeliner I have learned a huge lesson this year. Apply a little at a time. My whole life I have applied it in one long swoop, but I have discovered that applying liner (especially if it is liquid or gel) in small swipes creates a more finished and defined line.
2. Don’t brush me off. Brushes are so important to makeup application. I can apply the same eyeshadow with two different brushes and get totally different results. That being said, expensive brushes don’t always mean they are better brushes. I love my Crown Brush set and I have a favorite E.L.F. brush that I use pretty religiously for eyeshadow application. You don’t have to spend a lot of money to find some great brushes that will work for you. My favorite is the E.L.F. Angled Eye Shadow brush.
3. Blame it on the alcohol. If you have eyeshadows that break apart and are busting out of their compact add a little alcohol and stir the shadow up to create a paste and then let dry. It will re-pack your shadow like new.
4. Trace the eight. When applying bronzer use the half-eight shape on both sides of the face. Start on the forehead and swoop around the eye to the cheekbone and then swoop down to the jawbone (be sure to blend here). Then repeat on the other side creating two halves of an eight.
5. Mix it up. My new favorite foundation combination is mixing together my Smashbox BB cream with my Make Up For Ever HD Foundation to create the perfect consistency and coverage. My BB cream tends to be a bit light when it comes to coverage, but my foundation can be too heavy. I have started mixing these together to create the sheen of the BB cream with the coverage of my foundation. It might not work for everyone, but it is worth trying.